Mr. Fillmore Caldwell was born in Maple Creek, in Forest County, PA, on May 9, 1855. He was the son of Timothy and Jane (Steele) Caldwell, who had a total of eleven children. He was given
what education was available at the time, attending Corsica Academy, and also a private school in Pittsburgh. At the age of 18 years, he taught at the Stone School, holding that position
for three years. He was a successful farmer whose property doubled in value due to his methods of improvement. At the age of 26 years, he began services in local public offices, such as
auditor, school director, and township clerk, and continued in that line for twelve years. In 1881, he married Anna M. McCaskey, of Eldred Township. They were the parents of 6 children, Gertrude A.,
who was a teacher, Harry T., Jennie M., also a teacher, Wayne J., Grace E., and Lydia P. Caldwell.
He and his wife, Anna, are buried in Mt. Tabor Cemetery in Eldred Township, near Sigel