Levi B. Lerch, better known as Larry, was born in Lebanon County, PA, on February 15th, 1833, the son of Samuel Lerch.. His parents came to Jefferson County when he
was small boy and settled in Beaver Township, establishing a homestead to raise their family. He attended the local school, then learned the trade of carpentry with
Abraham Stine of Summerville. Eventually he had the reputation of being among the finest carpenters and cabinet makers in this section of the state.
He came to Brookville in 1856, and in April of 1857, was married to Miss Elizabeth Espy, a sister of Thomas E. Espy.
On August 1, 1863, he enlisted in Capt. E. B. Martin's Pennsylvania Mounted Volenteers,
and was discharged on January 6, 1864. He then enrolled on January 15, 1864, in Co. G., 1st Regiment of Provisional Pennsylvania Mounted Volunteers to serve for three years.
On July 13th, of 1865, he was discharged, having served for one year, minus a few days.
For several years, he operated a grocery store in Brookville, but for quite a while
before his death he was not engaged in any business.
Mr. Lerch died on April 3, 1907, at the age of 74 years, and was buried in the new Brookville
Cemetery at Brookville, PA. His wife Elizabeth was born in 1837 and died in 1909. She was buried in the same plot, as is their son, who died at the age of 7 years.