William Kelso was born October 1, 1847, in Clover Township, Jefferson County, Pennsylvania, the son of John and Eliza (Thompson) Kelso. John Kelso was a native
of Jefferson County, following the life of farmer, lumberman and participating in the community by holding some local offices. Eliza Thompson Kelso was born in Washington County, PA.
William Kelso was educated in the district schools as well as in Rev. John Todd's select school. Having been raised on the family farm, he continued in farming and lumbering
as his father had done. He owned three farms in the county as well as being a partner in a lumber company in Elk and Jefferson Counties.
In 1871, he married Mary Andrews, daughter of Hugh and Mary J. (Dickey) Andrews, who was also a native of Jefferson County. William and Mary were the parents of five children, Mary
Adelaide, Elizabeth Blanche, May, Annabelle, and Jennie.
In 1890, the Kelso family moved to Brookville, where he operated a grocery store for several
years. He then opened a furniture store and also was an undertaker. Later he was active in community affairs, a bank stockholder, and school director.
William Kelso died March 30, 1903, from chronic pleurisy with effusion, and was buried in the Jefferson Cemetery at Baxter. On April 3, 1923, his remains were removed to the Brookville
Cemetery. His wife, Mary, died in 1930, and was buried beside him. .