Moses Knapp was one of the pioneer settlers of Jefferson County, having come here with the Barnetts, when about nineteen years old, in about 1796 or 1797. He learned the trade of millwright
from the Barnetts and from his adopted father, Samuel Scott. About a year later, he left Port Barnett, and built his own mill on North Fork. Later that year he went to Indiana, PA, and
attended school for one term. He met Susan Matson, born 1771, daughter of Uriah Matson, of Indiana, where they were married. He brought Susan back to Jefferson County with him, where
they built a cabin and established a home.
About 1819, Moses Knapp moved to Clover Township where he and Susan spent the
remainder of their days. They were the parents of eleven children, Polly, Isabelle, Samuel, John, Amy, Joshua, Moses, Clarissa, Joseph, Isaac, and Eliza. Susan died in 1833 and was buried in
the cemetery of the Jefferson United Presbyterian Church, Pine Creek, now known as Old Jefferson Cemetery located in Rose Township. Moses
Knapp was born in 1778, and died in 1852. He is buried beside Susan in the old cemetery.