Judge Isaac Grantham Gordon was born in Lewisburg, Union County, PA, on December 22, 1819, son of Zaccheus Gordon and Harriet Lewis Gordon. He attended common school, then
enrolled in at Lewisburg Academy where he acquired a liberal classic and scientific education. He studied law under James M. Linn, at Lewisburg, and was admitted to the bar in Union
County. He opened his own law office at Curwensville, Clearfield County in 1843. In 1846, he moved to Jefferson County, where he became a partner of Judge Heath. He married Mary C.
Jenks in 1847. She was the daughter of Dr. John W. Jenks of Punxsutawney. In 1860 and 1861, Mr. Gordon, was representative in the State Legislature of the district comprising Jefferson,
Clearfield, Elk and McKean Counties. He was appointed, by Governor Hartranft, as presiding judge of the new judicial district formed from the counties of Mercer and Venango, to serve until
election of new judge. In 1873, he was elected to the State Supreme Court, and in 1887, became the Chief Justice of Pennsylvania. He died in Brookville, PA, in September 1893, and
is buried with his wife, Mary, in Brookville Cemetery.