J. Wilson Henderson was a native of Brookville, PA, having been born in that community on December 18, 1840. He
was one of the eight children of Joseph Buffington and Nancy (Wilson) Henderson. The others being Joseph B., Samuel S., David A., W. Wirt, Anna, Sarah, and Nancy. He
was educated in the local schools, then worked as a clerk in the store of his uncle, David Wilson of Corsica. On June 17, 1857, he went to Clarion to learn the trade of tinsmith,
serving in the capacity of an apprentice for the sum of twenty-five dollars a year.
When the Civil War began, he enlisted almost immediately
joining the Clarion Guards, who went to Pittsburgh and became part of the Eighth Pennsylvania Reserves. He
remained in the military for twenty-two months, taking part in a number of important engagements, including
the seven days fight at Richmond, the second battle of Bull Run, the battle of South Mountain, and Antietam.
He was wounded in the left leg on September 17, 1862, and honorably discharged February 7, 1863. After
more than a year at home, he re-enlisted May 6, 1864, joining the 191st Pennsylvania Regiment, serving until the end of the war. He was stationed at Appomatox when General Lee surrendered to General Grant.
Following the war, he returned to Brookville and entered into the tinning business with his father. On October
14th, 1874, he married Amelia Fredicka Melchior. They were the parents of one son, Wade M. Henderson.
Mr. Henderson died in April 1921 at his home on Main Street in Brookville, PA, of heart problems. He was buried in the Brookville Cemetery. His wife, Amelia, died in 1923, and was buried beside him.