James E. Long was born February 13, 1837, in Pine Creek Township, Jefferson County, PA. The Long family had come to Jefferson County in 1803,
having previously resided in Berks County, PA. He was the son of John and Jane (Robinson)Long, and the grandson of Lewis Long. From the age of twelve, James was in charge of the family farm
and then hired on as a rafter for the lumber trade on the Red Bank and Allegheny Rivers. At the age of fifteen, he was a pilot on the rafts. In 1861, he
entered the army as a second lieutenant in Company K, 11th Penn's Reserves, then was a first lieutenant in the 7th Penn's Militia. He was a prominent businessman in both Brookville
and DuBois having operated a hardware store, a lumber business, and assisted in the establishment of the First National Bank of Brookville, serving as it's President for several
years. On May 28, 1861, James E., married Miss Caroline Brown, daughter of Orlando and Meribah (Loomis) Brown of New York State. James died in 1909, and is buried in the Brookville Cemetery.