Martha V. Conrad was born in Brockway, on August 5, 1876, the daughter of B. F. & Caroline (Graybill) Rhed. She
attended the public schools in that town, and began her own teaching career there.
She met and married William N. Conrad, a prominent Brookville attorney, and married him on July 6, 1891.
Mr. and Mrs. Conrad were active in community and civic affairs, and were members of the Presbyterian Church where
Mrs. Conrad taught a Sunday school class of young ladies of the community. She was worked actively in Church, community and civic projects.
About 1919, she invited her class of young ladies to her home and held the first meeting
of what was known as the Junior Study Club. For three years, the club met at her home twice a week. In 1922, the club became federated with the county and state as a senior
organization. The name of the club then became the Martha V. Conrad Study Club. Her club that bears her name is still active in Brookville.
She was the mother of one son, Attorney, John W. Conrad, who died June 3, 1948, and also
had one grandchild, John W. Conrad, II.
Mrs. Conrad died at Warren State Hospital, in Warren, PA, on February 12, 1959 and is buried in the Brookville Cemetery beside her husband.